Xenonex shares Superstar Leaders Promises
As we approach Christmas and take the time to have a break from our hectic work lives and spend time with friends and family this article seems timely.
It's adapted from an original article by Michael E Kibler, the creator of a holistic executive coaching and development program.
Good leaders put aside their own needs for the good of the organisation — but that doesn’t mean they completely sacrifice their personal lives. Leaders who subjugate their need for exercise, sleep, and recreation eventually succumb to brownout: the graduated loss of energy, focus, and passion. This is often imperceptible to outsiders, but it affects a significant percentage of the executive population.
Today’s superstar leaders supplement their commitment to others with an equally important commitment to themselves. Whether it’s promising you’ll stick to your exercise routine, enjoy hobbies, eat dinner with your family, or reflect on what’s important to you, putting aside time for yourself makes you a better, more fully realised version of yourself.
Start by making one small but meaningful promise to yourself — and keep it. If you’re successful, try another promise. It shouldn’t take long for the performance benefits to be obvious.
What are some examples of promises you might make?
- To take care of yourself physically: exercise regularly, eat right, get enough sleep, and visit the doctor.
- To pursue activities that will help to differentiate your skill set from others.
- To spend time with your family and close friends.
- To manage your personal finances with care and attention, and with long-term objectives in mind.
- To spend time reflecting on what is most important to you in life and live and work according to your deepest values.
- To participate in a community outside work that truly matters to you.
The idea is to commit to activities that will make you feel better, increase your energy, stimulate your mind, and enrich your spirit. This isn’t self-indulgence. When you make and keep promises to self, you become a better, more fully realised version of yourself, which benefits not only you but everyone around you and your organisation.
Here at Xenonex we're choosing one promise each to add to our New Years Resolutions!
We wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.